Egomet

April 22, 2005

Probably the trick is to keep breathing.......

“Chego aos campos e vastos palácios da memória, onde estão tesoiros de inumeráveis imagens trazidas por percepções de toda a espécie. Quando lá entro, mando comparecer diante de mim todas as imagens que quero. Quem poderá explicar o modo como elas se formaram?”
Santo Agostinho


Yesterday, during a class, this quote was presented by the teacher and apart the synaptic plasticity theme, I thought about it not only the way it was supposed, but also in the way I had thought before. If we talk about synaptic plasticity we would be talking about relationships between cells with both the interior and the exterior environment….but that´s not what I want to refer to….I am thinking about the consequences of all these events outside our bodies…our brains….what they allow us to do…
What are memories?? How can they control in such manner human being behaviour…thoughts….feelings….existence…..life? Is it possible to abolish all those memories we do not want to be confronted with? Sometimes yes…other times no, but why is this? We all have things we would like to forget for some reason….Thinking about it this way I do not even question how is memory created….
However….would things be the way they are if we were able to forget everything we desire to? Probably not…..even bad memories teach us something….we learn with our mistakes…and memory is what allows us to do not repeat all the time the same mistake. Sometimes it works…but not all the time….we all know this is impossible….While writing this, I know simultaneously that this does not happen with me…sometimes I repeat the same mistake…even being conscious that I am doing it…I do not abolish my behaviour…thoughts…feelings…desires….probably because I do not want to or because I am unable to do it.
Am I being inconsistent? Probably yes...we all are sometimes….We learn all the time…and I am thankful for this…to find our own inconsistency is a difficult task…it truly crashes our “fake” homeostasis (while writing this I am laughing and admitting to myself that my homeostasis is truly truly fake, and that I am inconsistent as any other human being…and I am happy for that)…
”Consistency is contrary to nature, contrary to life. The only completely consistent people are dead.” Aldous Huxley

Thus…let’s fight for inconsistency…because it means we are alive and well…

Egomet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home